Roger Federer says he will be sidelined for “many months” as he prepares for new knee surgery.
The 40-year-old Swiss, 20-time Grand Slam champion, underwent two knee operations last year.
In a video post to Instagram, Federer said he hoped the operation would give him “a silver lining” to return to action.
He was knocked out in the quarterfinals at Wimbledon in July, then missed the Tokyo Olympics.
“I will be on crutches for many weeks, and also out of the game for many months,” said Federer, who turned 40 a week ago, on Sunday night.
“It’s going to be tough in some ways but at the same time I know it’s the right thing to do because I want to be healthy, I also want to run later.
“I also want to give myself a silver lining to come back to the tour in one form or another.
“I’m a realist – I know how difficult it is at this age right now to do another surgery and try it.
“But I want to be healthy. I will go through the rehabilitation process with a goal, while I am still active, which I think will help me during this long time.”
After losing to Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz at Wimbledon, Federer – now ranked number nine in the world – told reporters he was not sure if he would play again at SW19.
Over the past two years he has seen his Grand Slam titles tied twice – first by Spaniard Rafael Nadal at Roland Garros 2020, then by Serbian Novak Djokovic, who won a 20th major at Wimbledon. 2021.
Federer underwent two right knee surgeries in 2020 after the Australian Open, before returning to the Doha Tour in March.